Monday, March 23, 2009

Spring Training?

Sure, spring officially began last Friday, some wee hours into the morning. But IS IT actually spring here in Spokane? How we generally decide:
1) is it raining? was it raining? will it rain?
2) is the grass orange and soggy?
3) do I have the flu or allergies?
4) are the Christmas decorations still on the house?
5) could I start an outdoor ride in clear weather, only to be blown off the side of the road and drenched, all in 5 minutes time?
6) am I constantly checking http://www.weather.com/?
If any of the above questions can be answered "yes" then it is spring in Spokane.

So, Saturday I was planning to ride outside for the second time this season, but when we were scheduled to start our ride, it was already raining. Since my bike is important to me and cost my wife a ton of money, I decided not to take it through the mud and silt for the second weekend in a row. What happens after we begin our 2.5 hour indoor ride? The rain goes away, sunshine comes out and we've missed our meeting time with our triathlon club. Another damn training day inside. We did manage to get outside for our 30 minute transition run and the weather was perfect. Thank you, spring.

Swimming is coming right along, as I'm at the pool with my clubmates at least 3 times/week. It's tough sometimes, but well worth the gains.

That's all for now, but I hope your training is going strong and your first races are all winners.

2 comments:

Gregory Gallagher said...

This is truly an amazing blog, maybe the best I have ever seen. Kudos to your creator! ;)

jessithompson said...

This is fawesome!