Thursday, April 23, 2009

Snake River Triathlon

This is a unique race... Participants swim on Friday night in the Clarkston Aquatic Center and receive their official timed 500 swim results. The following morning, participants line up on the bike transition starting line according to how fast they swam the night before. When your swim time appears on the giant chronometer, you take off for your bike and begin the last two segments of the triathlon to ride and run.

On Friday, my wife and I drove down to Clarkston and arrived at 4:00 to do our swims. After a solid warm-up, I was ready to go. My swim was a 500 yard PR for me at 6:18, and I was pleased with the effort. After both our swims, we were able to hang out at the pool and cheer for almost 25 of our teammates. Eventually, we all convened at the local Tomato Bros. for a great Italian dinner together and then off to race prep and bedtime.

Saturday morning we woke up to drizzly rain and cooler temps outside, again typical spring in the northwest. When we got to the race site, only four other bikes were set up in transition and they belonged to some teammates of ours. So, after setting up a good transition area, I began my warm-up routine to ready for the rest of the race.

The clock counts upward from zero until the first place swimmer runs to their bike and continues until all participants have taken off. I was fifth on my bike and ready to ride. The ride is the same out and back 12 miles that I rode at the duathlon two weeks previous. Nothing changed, same rain, roads and scenery. After making it through this ride three minutes faster than the last race here, I was able get into transition and take off running.

I got my legs under me and felt pretty good heading out on the two mile run. I settled into my pace and ran strong.

Overall, I finished the race in fourth place and I was first in my age group. Our team did so well that we garnered the top 11 places and accounted for about 15% of race participants. This was a great day for Tri Fusion, topping it off with pizza at Fizarri's and a milkshake for the ride home.

Kinda seems like the training day could stop there. However, in true Ironman training form, we met up with some teammates when we got back to Spokane to run another 1:20 before finally resting for the day. No regrets.

No comments: