Thursday, April 23, 2009

Susan G. Komen's Race for the Cure 5K


This race was more than a hard run for me. It was for a cause that is very close to my heart and that of my wife's as well. A large portion of the race fees are donated to finding a cure for breast cancer.

You see, a very dear friend to us was recently diagnosed with breast cancer and is currently fighting to save her life. We only found out about Erin's condition a few months ago. While my wife has been making meals and regular visits to Erin, I felt I wanted to contribute something myself. When the Race for the Cure was about six weeks out, I had in my heart that I wanted to race for a reason this time around. To show Erin our support, I designed a race shirt dedicated to her. I shared my ideas with my wife and eventually I had fifteen shirts made for other supporters of Erin.

I had also decided to make this race a priority to run my fastest and hardest in Erin's honor and to celebrate doing this for her on my 40th birthday. I'd even been cutting back on my unreal cravings for sweet treats in the weeks leading up to race day. If you know me, this is quite a sacrifice for me. :)

Race morning came and Natalie and I drove downtown to the race site talking about the cause, trying not to get teary. I got a good warm-up with some teammates and eventually stowed my Brooks warm-up gear and laced up my Brooks T6 racing flats and headed to the start. Standing behind the timing mat at the starting line with over 7,100 other participants, my adrenaline got going, heart rate climbing, signaling that I was ready to race.

The gun went off and I was out front with a couple of other guys in tow.

No comments: